One of the hardest things about being a photographer is having the patience for projects to make it to print. Sometimes you shoot and you've got less than a week to edit, deliver, and see it live, but more often than not it can really take a while. Back in December I opened an email getting offered what would be one of the coolest assignments I've had yet. I've been sitting on it for a few months and I am so excited the article has finally gone to print!
Connect Magazine was doing a big article on imagination in the workplace and that article would include a big feature on Jenny Gottstein. Jenny is a friend of mine but I don't think the magazine really took much interest in writing about that. What was more important to them is that she is the incredible creative game director for The Go Game, and does awesome creative things every single day. To sweeten the pot, we got access to the Exploratorium for our shoot location. I've been in love with the place since I would go on field trips in grade school, so there was no way I could pass this shoot up.
Ahead of the shoot, our contact Shannon allowed me to come by to scout the place out. There are endless options of incredible environments, so it was a bit overwhelming taking it all in and trying to figure out a plan.
As you can see, my scout day mostly consisted of just getting distracted and taking selfies in strange mirrors. In the end, we ended up differing to Jenny and asking her what exhibit inspired her most. No surprise, it was the Rube Goldberg marble maze wall.
On the day of the shoot, we were on a tight time crunch. We only had an hour from when we could get into the building until they opened for business and we'd be forced to wrap. The wall was totally bare so we had our work cut out for us. Jenny started doing what she does, and designed a crazy marble maze to fill the scene while I got to work setting up the light. To keep things quick and simple, I set up my Elinchrom Quadra pack with a 27.5" deep octabank, and worked the distance to get the right level of coverage and contrast I was looking for.
We worked quick to shoot a few different variations but below is the shot that ultimately ran.
We were running down the clock but I wanted to make the effort to get one more look, just to submit as an option. Just behind us was a wall covered in a cool print of a dismantled typewriter and we went with it. I swung the octa around, set it up close and right overhead, and we got the shot.
Even though it didn't run, I think it's always important to make the effort to over deliever. Plus I'm still very happy that I got to walk home with this portrait in the can.
Anyway, here's how the photo and layout all came together in the magazine. A huge thank you to Jenny for being awesome, Stephanie for granting me the assignment, and Shannon and the Exploratorium for getting us in. Get out and find your copy now!